Inspirational Touch "Special Needs"
"Special Needs" populations refer to those who can benefit from specialized massage therapy techniques and knowledge base due to the unique physiologic needs or characteristics certain populations require.
Examples would include:
An aging population
Individuals diagnosed with certain disease or disorders
Pre and Post surgical considerations
Post Traumatic Stress Disorder
Anxiety, depression, personal trauma situations
Pregnancy Pre and Post
Infant and children
Hospice aid for terminal individuals
Loss of limbs
- Our CE course will focus on the aging population, Cancer patients, Post Traumatic Stress Disorder and Circulation related disease and disorders..
- Therapists will have clear understanding of the need to take a complete intake and to do thorough assessments prior to the selection of various techniques or approaches.
- Techniques will focus on sensitive touch and listening skills of the therapist to be able to hear through touch what the client may not know how to express or the client is not aware of as a disconnect has taken place between their awareness and their body communication.
- A client may require special positioning on the massage table or other adjustments such as sitting up in a chair or wheel chair. The therapist will learn how to use pillows and other tools to best achieve client comfort.
- Specialized techniques will include myofascial release and unwinding, Fluffing and pumping, cranio-sacral hold, heat and compression.
Instructor: Joy L. Mellum, L.M.T., M.F.R.T.
Joy has been practicing massage therapy for 22 years.
Her training includes western and eastern theories and techniques.
Since 1999 Joy has worked with the special needs
populations ranging from Hospice care to pediatric massage. She has
had the opportunity to work with other health professionals in
conventional medicine and alternative health to create a “team”
of specialized health care professionals practicing “ client
The majority of Joy's education has come from
individual case studies as most clients do not fit a mold for which a
clear protocol is standard. Joy has, however, attended educational
courses such as Compassionate Touch, Geriatric Massage, Body
mechanics for the therapist and positioning of clients.
Joy has also worked as a certified nurses aid in
skilled nursing homes and has traveled to facilities//homes to work
with brain injury, cancer, pre/post surgical situations, hospice and
end of life care. In her practice she receives referrals from
General medicine Doctors, surgeons and Doctors of Chiropractic.
Joy also founded and gives instruction at Guiding Light
School of Massage which was approved by the Massage Therapy Board in
2003 to present.
Registration for Inspirational Touch "Special Needs"
August 26 & 27, 2017
9:30am – 5:30pm
Please send registration form and payment by August 5, 2017to:
Guiding Light School of Massage Therapy 123 N. Main, Fairfield IA 52556
Professional Title: _________________________License #_______________
e-mail: ______________________________ Phone: ____________________
Course Fee: $275.00
(master card, visa, check or cashiers check, money order)
Or Pay pal at address ldmellum@hotmail.
Course Fee includes: Booklet
Please wear loose fitting clothing and bring a set of sheets.
If you have any questions please call: (641) 472-9337 or contact us on
A minimum class to hold course: 3 Class maximum: 6